Saturday 27 August 2011

Friday 26th August-Wassells climb the mountain


Hi, David blogging today

Today started as usual with mum coming to wake me up and me being reluctant to get up. As I came down I was greeted with the smell of sweet bread or Ethiopian scones, another recipe to take back to England.

Our morning was spent at the church with a very humbling thanksgiving service in recognition of the bible weeks the church had put on. We listened to a probably very interesting preach by the pastor apart from the fact I could only understand a few words. After the preach we were all brought up on stage and given gifts to thanks us, Mum and Abi were given hand bags and scarf’s and Dad and I were given T-shirts with the Amharic alphabet on, It was really nice to see all the children so happy and dancing in the service, I just hope what we did made a difference. After the service we were given coffee and popcorn, it was a really nice and enjoyable morning.

Afterwards we headed back to the house for lunch before climbing the mountain, it seemed quite daunting but wasn’t so bad when I went up. I realised if I was at the front I would get a rest when we waited for the others to catch up. Mum, Abi and I made it up but Dad was unable to manage as he had a really bad headache due to the altitude, it was a shame as the view from the top was quite spectacular, you could see the whole of Addis and it gave a real sense of size and how big the world really is.

On the top of the mountain we were greeted with food and a man gave a preach whilst we all sat on the wet ground as the skies rumbled above. Once again it was a shame I didn’t understand what he was saying. It was really amazing to see people singing without a band and a preacher without a lecturn or warm church. It kind of took the song “I’m bringing it back the heart of worship” to a whole new level.

After this the rain was beginning to fall and as we were at the highest point under trees we decided to make our way down in case of lightning. Mum did suggest we hide under the trees if lightning struck and me and Abi just looked at each other. On the way down we slipped around a lot, many people ending up in the mud and one boy hiding behind a rock and pretending to be a hyena which are found on the mountain. On a particularly steep bit Mum decided to walk on a grassy bit to stop slipping and Abi had to shout at her to get off as it was someone’s crops.

As we arrived back it was a race for the showers and a relaxing evening before football at 7 tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment